20 June 2008

Tahini Quest


The scene: A grocery store, 9 am on a Friday morning. Caroline approaches an employee of the store.
Caroline: Excuse me, sir, do you know where the tahini is in this store?
Employee: The what?
C: Tahini. Also known as tahinia. Or possibly tahina. It's a ground sesame paste.
E: Ah, of course, tahini. Have you checked the peanut butter aisle?
C: Yes. It's not there.
E: How do you spell tahini?
C: T-a-h-i-n-i, or possibly t-a-h-i-n-i-a.
E: (looks confused)
C: It's been transliterated from Arabic- there are multiple accepted spellings.
E: Oh, Arabic. You should have mentioned it- I thought you said you were looking for almond butter. It will be in the ethnic foods aisle.
C: That's the first place I looked. It's not there. You have hummus, you have taboule salad mix, you have baba ghanoush, you do not have tahini.
E: Well, what does this tahini look like?
C: I don't know- it's an off-white paste made with sesame. It's probably in a jar. Though I guess it can be dried too.
E: We have sesame seeds in a jar. And sesame-ginger salad dressing.
C: Yes, I found those.
E: We have halva!
C: I noticed that. But I want to use it to make hummus- I don't think halva would work. Or sesame seeds, or salad dressing.
E: Hummus! Why didn't you say that before! Our hummus is in the cheese section, just next to the deli!
C: But I don't want hummus! I want to make hummus, which requires tahini!
E: You can make hummus?
C: Sure. It's really easy, you just mix together chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and some spices. Nothing to it.
E: We have chickpeas!
C: Yes... but where is your tahini?
E: The frozen food section?
C: That's it, I'm going to Shaw's.
E: (as Caroline leaves) We do have hummus! And almond butter! And lemons!

No comments: