13 June 2008

Herodotus! (And Neil Gaiman)


So, I was at work last night, and during a quiet period at circulation, I noticed that there was a copy of Neil Gaiman's American Gods on the cart of books to be shelved. Since I have several friends who are fans of Mr. Gaiman's works, I took it out, and when I was reading this morning, I made a very exciting discovery.

On page 5, there is a reference to Herodotus.

This was far, far too exciting for me, since it lead to my dancing around my room in quiet glee for several minutes. But seriously, how often does Herodotus come up in popular fiction? (Answer: not as often as he really should). Best part? The Histories are described as "not boring" and "cool." "Not boring"! "Cool"! Clearly, this means that all my Neil Gaiman loving friends should go and read Herodotus. And that everyone else that I know should read Herodotus.

And that no matter what the rest of the book is like, I think that it was worth picking it up from the circulation cart. Especially since it was free.

Also, I have plane tickets to Greece. Yay!

1 comment:

Alexis said...

Have I ever mentioned that you're my hero?