21 June 2008

The Cape, Part 3



The cape progresses! Note the second turquoise row at the top and the red and orange row, as well as the beginning of the big band repeat. Also note my crummy photgraphy skills, the part of my roof you can see, and the shadow from my window towards the bottom of the picture. I am extremely talented, guys, I tell you.


Since this is the obligatory knitting/soccer post, I feel I must mention that the last two semifinal games, Netherlands-Russia today and Croatia-Turkey yesterday, were very exciting. Dear good Lord, Turkey manages to pull off the most amazing last minute wins.


Otherwise, things are going well. I am continuing on with my summer reading plan, and am currently wading through Dinner With Persephone, by Patricia Storace. I have extremely mixed feelings about the book so far (I'm probably 2/3 of the way through). The prose is really nice, which is pretty much why I have kept reading it, and she does share some interesting bits of history that I didn't know before. Also, it's really interesting to read about a non-Greek living in Athens, since, oddly, I have an interest in this topic. Unfortunately, I think there are some things that she isn't handling as well as one might hope. I feel like she spent a year in Athens and now assumes she understands the Greek psyche, which I think (and the amazon.com reviewers agree) is probably not really a good assumption. Seriously, I think the Greek psyche is most likely very complicated. She also is very interested in dream interpretation (not my thing), and spends a lot of time with introspective ramblings, which I am not interested in. Seriously, how did a man's amulet to ward off the evil eye lead to a philosophical observation that murderers are afraid of the people they murder? I hope that the next book on my list is better.

However, I still love Cavafy. Just thought you ought to know.

No comments: