08 December 2008

Riots in Athens, Part 2

So, it's day three of the rioting, and Athens continues to have problems. As predicted, it has gotten pretty violent in areas of downtown Athens like Exarhia, Omonia, and Syntagma. The big Christmas tree in Syntagma has been burned down, I guess- there have been a lot of smashed store windows, a lot of burned buildings, a lot of injuries, fire bombs, and tear gas. I can smell the smoke from here, and the teargas from when I was walking back to my apartment.

I would like to repeat that we are safe and sound at the moment. CYA is taking care that we are't put in dangerous positions- classes have been cancelled, both this afternoon and for all day tomorrow, and we are encouraged to stay put rather than get into any potential danger. You may have read that the rioting has spread to Kolonaki- this is true, I hear, but you need to understand that Kolonaki is a reasonably sized place and that the danger is entirely on a different side of the neighborhood.

In any case, we are safe. None of us are stupid, and we're staying away from the rioting. Please don't be too worried- if you don't hear from me for a few days, it is most likely because internet is hard to come by and I might not be at the academic center too much.

I hope that you are all well!

No comments: