28 September 2008

Chania- I Should Stop Wandering Around By Myself In Big Cities Without a Map

Finally we made it to Chania (that's pronounced Han-YA, by the way- would it be helpful for people if I made a pronuciation guide? I know I hate reading things when I can't pronounce the words, and that Greek pronunciation is not aways intuitive for some people. Especially since I'm never sure how to transliterate things.) Since I knew I was going to be wandering around the city by myself without a map, I took a picture of my hotel so I could remember that I was staying at the Nefeli, not the Samaria or the Arkadi or any of the other hotels in the city. As hotels go, it was ok- they didn't have enough triples, so I shared a room with only Emma instead of Emma and Christine.
The sea shore! This is Souda bay, which is a place of great historical significance, especially if you are reading about the German invasion of Crete in WWII. (Actually, this was rather fascinating- we talked about the mililtary tactics involved, and it was very interesting. Did you know that Crete was the first territory ever taken entirely by air?)
The bay, this time facing the other way. The water was very clear, and a very beautiful color.
To the lighthouse! Actually, later in the night we talked about going out to the lighthouse, but it was late and we were all a bit tired and not exactly in the proper condition to be taking long walks on an uneven sidewalk next to some deepish water.
The waterfront, which as you can see looks very little like Greece and looks more like Italy. (Hmm. I wonder why? Let me give you a hint- it's a two word phrase that begins with 'Venetian' and ends with 'occupation')

No comments: