16 November 2008

Ali Pasha: An Interesting Person Who Came to a Bad End

So, one of Ioannina's claims to fame is Ali Pasha, an Albanian ruler (in power from 1787-1822) who had his court in Ioannina. This guy was crazy. He basically was loyal to whoever could help him at the time, and I think his goal was to have some Albanian-Greek empire. Or something. I am going to direct you to the wikipedia page, because it seems to be more or less accurate and I don't feel like typing out the whole story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Pasha
So, much of the Frourio of Ioannina is taken up with ruins (or non-ruins) from the time of Ali Pasha, though there also are remains from the Byzantine period.
A mosque! This is one of two mosques in the Frourio, and I am sorry to say that I have absolutely forgotten what it is called. Sometime when I have my guidebook or my notes with me I will edit this out.
I believe that these are the ruins of Ali Pasha's harem.
The view out over Lake Pamvotis towards the Pindos mountains. Nice, isn't it?

The tomb of Ali Pasha. Note- I did not actually climb inside the tomb to take this picture. While I have been called on to scale some fences over the course of this semester, I haven't started tomb-robbing. Yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Belissimo, Maravilhoso é este seu bloguer!

Nome: Reyzinho
E-mail:reissetornorte@hotmail.com
País: Brasil