24 July 2008

Fun Times at the Library

This post was going to consist of several funny letters to various patrons, dealing with subjects which I have been involved in the past week at the library, but then I realized that the letters were sort of mean and not something to post on the internet. I am still curious about why our recent shipment of rubber bands smelled like fish, I still believe that it is reasonable to expect some level of literacy in our patrons, and I still am curious about the large collection of lesbian erotica left in our book drop, but I am going to leave these questions in peace for right now.

Instead, I am going to comment, in a surprised but happy way, about the sudden popularity of the works of Evelyn Waugh. I would attribute this to the upcoming remake of Brideshead Revisited, which I am rather excited about, by the way, but for the fact that I've recently checked in (or out) copies of Vile Bodies, Decline and Fall, and Helena, as well as Brideshead Revisited. And those are just the ones that have passed through my hands. Is this a case of people hearing about a movie and deciding to read the entire oeuvre of the author? Has Evelyn Waugh been recommended by Oprah recently? Or has the reading public just developed good taste?

No comments: